Sometimes you will see a yellow exclamation sign on your Wi-Fi name in the system tray. If you right-click the Wi-Fi name and select Troubleshoot then you will most likely see the error with a message “Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings”.
Although the yellow exclamation sign doesn’t always mean that you will get this error but it’s highly likely especially if you can’t use your internet or if your internet is really slow. This error can appear at any time without any prior signs and will most likely prevent you from using the internet.
You can also check out other similar error in Windows by just clicking on the error to get the solution
How to Fix Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings Error?
To fix Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings error follow the troubleshooting methods given below:
Method 1: Run Network Adapter Troubleshooter
You can run Network Adapter Troubleshooter which is built-in Windows to fix this problem. It will solve the network problems on its own. So follow the steps given below :
- Right-click Start and choose Settings from the menu.
- Select Update & security
- Click Troubleshoot from the left panel, scroll down to locate and click Network Adapter.
- Then click Run the troubleshooter.
- Troubleshoot will start detecting problems and you need to wait until it finishes
Method 2: Uncheck Proxy Server Options
It is also a good choice to ensure that you have unchecked Proxy server options when you encounter “Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings” issue. So here’s how to do it:
- Open Run window and type inetcpl.cpl
- Press Enter to run Internet Properties.
- Switch to the Connections tab and click LAN settings.
- In the pop-up window, make sure that Use a proxy server for your LAN is unchecked and click OK.
Method 3: Reset Internet Explorer Settings
For many users, resetting the Internet Explorer settings solved their problem. So follow the steps given below in order to reset it :
Note – this operation will delete your personal setting you have set before.
To reset Internet Explorer settings, you should also run Internet Properties just as Solution 2, but here you do some different operations as follows:
- Choose Advanced
- Under Reset Internet Explorer setting click on Reset
- In the pop-up window, check Delete personal settings and click Reset
- Restart your computer for these changes to take effect.
- You can check whether the problem is removed after restarting.
Method 4: Run SFC Scan
The System File Checker (SFC) is a Windows tool that scans for corrupted system files and repairs them. So here’s how to do it;
- Type cmd in the search bar and Right-click Command Prompt to select Run as administrator, and then click Yes to confirm.
- Type sfc /scannow and press Enter on your keyboard.
- Windows will now verify the system files and automatically fix any issues.
- Once verification is complete, exit the Command Prompt and try to launch the program that was giving you the error
These solutions to resolve “Windows could not automatically detect this network’s proxy settings” error for you. I hope these solutions can help you fix Microsoft issues related to network proxy settings in your windows 10 effectively!