It is a frequent of PC users to fail to complete their desired actions in their PCs because the system says some kind of error has occurred. It is one major frustrating situation that a PC user can face and it can cause serious issues. One of such errors faced by users of Windows, more specifically users of Windows 10 is the error code 0x800700e1.
In this article, let us guide you through the different measures which you can take in order to troubleshoot this particular error code. Before we start dissecting the solution to the problem, let us first look at what is error code 0x800700e1 and what causes it.
What is error code 0x800700e1?
To amplify the safety and accessibility of important files and data, users require to backup the data, and this is exactly why Windows provides the users with Windows Backup. Windows Backup is a built-in application which can be used by the users to back up important data on the hard drive of their computer with a few simple clicks.
While trying to back up their data, users sometimes encounter the unpleasant situation of error code 0x800700e1 which prevents them from creating a back up. The message displayed with this error code typically looks like this-
“Error 0x800700e1: Operation did not complete successfully because the file contains a virus or potentially unwanted software.”
This error can also be faced by users while trying to install a third-party application. If you have faced such issues while backing up your data, or while installing a third-party application, then one question that you may have pondered is “Why?”. There are two major issues that might cause your device to show error code 0x800700e1:
- If your computer is infected with any kind of virus, or malware, adware or spyware of any kind, then this may as well be the reason behind your computer giving you this error code.
- Windows Defender or any other third-party package can also be behind this problem as they can stop the backup process sometimes. This can be caused by unsigned applications, hacked executables etc.
How to fix error code 0x800700e1?
Since the error message shows that your computer can potentially be infected with a virus, the first step to fix the error should be performing a full disk scan to find any virus.
- Scan and removal of virus: In order to find and remove the malware, adware, or spyware that may be behind the error code 0x800700e1, you can run your antivirus program – if you have one in your computer. In case you have not installed an antivirus software yet, then you should install one and run it to remove the infecting malware, if any.
- System protection: Another step which you can take in order to solve the problem is to turn on system protection feature in case you want to create system image.
- Click on the “Windows” button in the lower left corner.
- Scroll down and find “Windows System”. Then expand it.
- Navigate to “Control Panel” and click on it.
- Make sure that the “View by Category” option is enabled. Then, click on the “System and Security” link.
- In the right pane, click on “System” link, and in the left pane, select “System Security”.
- You have to make sure that the “system drive” is selected under “Protection Settings”.
- Click on the “configuration” button below.
- Choose the “Turn on system protection” option under Restore Settings.
- Click on “Apply” and then “OK” to confirm changes.
- Delete the “WindowsImageBackup” folder created earlier: You can also fix this error code by deleting the WindowsImageBackup folder that you created earlier.
- After clicking on the “System and Security” link, click on the “File History” in the right pane.
- Click on the “System Image Backup” button which you may find in the lower left corner.
- Find the location of the “WindowsImageBackup” folder.
- Open the “File Explorer”, navigate to that folder and right click on it.
- Choose “delete” and click “yes” to confirm deletion.
- Disable Windows Defender: You can temporarily disable the Windows Defender for solving the problem.
- Press the “Windows key + I” button to open Windows Settings. You can also click on the “Settings” icon on “Windows Start Menu” to perform this action.
- On the “Windows Settings”, click on the “Update & Security” option.
- Click on the “Windows Security” tab in the right pane. Then click on “Virus &threat protection”.
- Turn off the “Real-time protection” feature. Click on yes to confirm the action.
Now this step is supposed to disable Windows Defender temporarily, but in case it does not work, then follow these steps instead –
- Type “registry” in the Windows search box. Click on the first option to open Registry Editor.
- On the address bar, copy and paste the following path:
This should open the Windows Defender Directory in the Registry Editor.
- Right click on the empty area. Move your mouse pointer to “New”, then select “DWORD (32-bit) Value”.
- Set the value name as “DisableAntiSpyware” and set the value data as 1.
- Make sure that the “Hexadecimal” option is chosen. Then click “OK”.
This step will permanently disable Windows Defender. Run the application that you were trying to open again, and check if it still shows error 0x800700e1.
- Repair and exclude the troublesome file:You can repair and exclude the file to resolve the error.
- Type “cmd” in the Windows Search bar.
- Right click on it and select “Run as Administrator”.
- Copy this code and paste it on the Command prompt:
Hit enter in order to automatically check the files and repair it. To prevent Windows Defender from interfering,
Follow the first 4 steps of the fourth solution to open “Virus & threat protection” panel:
- Click on the “manage settings” option.
- Under the “Exclusions” tab, click on “Add or remove exclusions”.
- Click on the “Add an exclusion” option and select file.
- When the file explorer opens, navigate to the directory where the file is saved and open it. The file should be excluded by this. Run the file to check whether or not the error was fixed.
Most Common errors i.e Http Error 403. If you are facing an issue on your chrome browser, then you must checkout this blog on how to fix Http Error 403 | You Don’t have Authorization to View this Page (FIXED)
As we have discussed the different solutions which you can use in order to fix error code 0x800700e1. By following these steps carefully, you should be able to solve the problem and perform your desired actions such as backing up your important data or installing third-party applications without trouble.
Frequently Asked Questions:-
1.How to fix error 0x800700E1?
- Press Windows + I to open Settings.
- Click on Update and security.
- In the left panel, click on Windows Security.
- In the right panel, select Virus and Threat Protection.
- Select Manage Settings.
- Toggle the real-time protection switch to Off
2.Why does my Windows 10 backup keep crashing?
Your system backup won’t work until you have corrupted files on your hard drive. So , you can restore them by using the Chkdsk command.
3.How do I disable Windows Defender?
- Click on Start > Settings > Update and Security > Windows Security, and then click on Firewall and Network Protection.
- Open the Windows Security settings.
- Select a network profile.
- In Microsoft Defender Firewall, change the setting to Enabled.
- To disable it, set the setting to Off.
4.How do I disable real-time protection?
- Go to Start > Settings > Update and Security > Windows Security > Antivirus and Threat Protection > Manage Settings (or Antivirus and Threat Protection Settings in earlier versions of Windows 10).
- Set real-time protection to Off.( Note that scheduled scans will continue.)